How Long Does it Take to Get an Expedited Passport?
You have a trip planned and realized your passport is expired. You ask... How long does it take to get an expedited passport? pops to mind. Well, we have the passport application answers for you! We can also assist you in understanding why to use a Passport Expediting company like us. There are a variety of different types of services and speeds for applying for a US passport. Also, expedited passport processing can vary depending upon your trip date. T
How long it takes to expedite a passport to be processed depends on your particular situation and the dates of your departure. When you apply for an expedited passport services, you should have proof of your travel plans ready, such as an official itinerary or a plane ticket. Being able to show the Passport Agency that you have an urgent need for your application. This helps to speed up the process.
Get Your Passport Today!
Lets start with the slowest passport application speed and move forward.
Routine passport processing can be upwards of 8 to 10 weeks long. Processing times vary depending on seasonality of the US passport agency as well, during the spring and summer applications tend to be more prevalent. Many people who don't need expediting and can accomodate this timeframe.
However; many US citizens find that 8 weeks or more (2 months) is too long to wait, particularly if you made last minute plans or your found out your passport is expired and need it sooner. For those who need it faster than 8 weeks, lets dig into the faster expediting options available to obtain a US Passport.
Expediting Your Passport Application at a Post Office
You can pay an extra fee of $60 when applying at a Post Office, and this fee is considered the expediting fee for the US Department of State. Typically, this fee means you should allow for approximately 4 weeks when requesting expedited service by mail with overnight shipping to and from the passport processing center. Note, typically you apply at a Post office, then they batch the applications to their regional passport center as a means of central processing of your sensitive documents.
Pros to Expediting at a Post Office
- For $60 extra, you shave half the time off the process.
- If you have the time and don't mind the effort to drive to a Post Office, this is a reasonable approach.
Cons to Expediting at a Post Office
- Many post offices require appointments
- If there is an issue, you are notified weeks later and have to use mail to typically passport issue. See our blog on Common Passport Mistakes to avoid this.
Expediting Your Passport Application at a Passport Agency
If you have access to a local Passport Agency, there are 20 plus Passport Agencies across the country where you can make an appointment, wait for your appointment and hand off your application directly there. Typically, 3 days or so later, you then drive back to the Passport Agency and are able to pick up your new us passport.
Pros to Expediting at a Passport Agency
- For $60 extra, once you have your appointment, you typically can have your passsport in 3 days or so.
Cons to Expediting at a Passport Agency
- All Passport Agencies require appointments
- It typiclaly requires a trip to apply and then a 2nd trip to pickup your appllcation.
- You may not have one convenient to you.
Expediting Your Passport Application with a Private Passport Courier Service
Utilizing this method you get personalized service in expediting your passport and more convenience in obtaining your US passport fast.
Pros to Expediting with a Passport Service
- Fast Processing times on par with an appointment at a Passport Agency, and at times same day /24 hour processing is available.
- With a passport expediting company, your application is reviewed and managed by trained passport specialists. We catch any errors prior to submissions and if there are problems during the application process we deal directly with the Passport Agency to resolve as soon as possible. If there’s anything wrong, you’ll get a phone call instead of a letter in the mail.
- Peace of mind – If you have a trip planned in the near future, waiting for your passport can be extremely stressful, especially as your departure date draws near. Save yourself the trouble by using an expediting company to submit your application!
Cons to Expediting with a Passport Service
- As a private company, we have extra fees associated with our services and speed.
Our fees vary from $79 to $349 depending upon the need. If you're in a hurry and need to renew your passport quickly, you can expedite the process. To learn how to expedite passport renewal or Let us handle your passport application expediting request..give us a call at 800-860-8610.
Get Your Passport Today!