How to Expedite a New Passport Application
Need to obtain a new US passport? Before initiating the passport application steps, we recommend you check the criteria listed below to verify if a new passport service is what you need. If so, you will find a complete list of requirements and step-by-step instructions to assist you in the process ofobtaining a new U.S. passport. Take a few seconds to see who should use Passport Application Form DS-11 in order to apply for a new passport.
Use New Passport Application Form DS-11 if any of the following apply:
- You are applying for your first U.S. passport or
- You are under age 16 or
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued when you were under age 16 or
- Your previous U.S. passport was lost, stolen, or significantly damaged or
- Your previous U.S. passport was issued more than 15 years ago or
- Your name has changed since your U.S. passport was issued and you are unable to legally document your name change.
There are four items need when thinking about how to apply for a new US passport.
Your New US Passport Application (DS11)
The new first time passport application asks for information about yourself, your address, your prior passport information, your family, and where you are traveling to if in a hurry to get a passport. We recommend you complete the DS11 First time passport application online, print it on white paper, full size prior to visiting the Passport Acceptance Agent.
The US Passport Agency requires that passport photos taken on a white background and free of items such as glasses and scarfs. Your passport photo should also be taken within the six months prior to your passport application. Watch the exposure on the photo, as that is a common issue we have when applying for a passport.
Your Proof of Citizenship
You'll need to provide proof of US citizenship via either a birth certificate or naturalization certificate.
Check for your New Passport
The current New US passport fee is $130 for routine passport service plus $35 for the acceptance agent. Expedited service is $60 and you can request overnight delivery of your new passport for an additional fee.
Is a new passport expediting service right for me?
If you are travelling soon, you have three options to expedite your new passport.
- Apply for expedited new passport services at the Post Office. The current timeframe for this is about nine weeks not including shipping times which is quoted as up to 2 weeks each way.
- Obtain an appointment at a US Passport Agency which are typically very limited. If you have an appointment a new passport can be issued in a few days.
- Apply through a courier service such as Passports and Visas.com and we guide you through the application process and can obtain your new passport as fast as 4 days.
I am applying for an adult passport for the first time, what do I need?
To apply for your first adult passport, the application requirements are:
- a completed DS-11 passport application form
- Proof of US citizenship
- Proof of Identity
- Two passport photos
- Check to cover the necessary passport fees.
How Passportsandvisas.com Can Help You Avoid Delays:
Getting your first adult passport is simplified with Passports and Visas.com. Our experienced team ensures error-free applications, proper document submission, and accurate fee processing, reducing potential delays. Our Expedited New Passport Services start at just $249, offering a cost-effective way to expedite your application and avoid unnecessary wait times.
How long does it take to receive my new passport?
The standard processing time for a new passport application typically falls within the range of 13 to 15 weeks from the date of application submission. However, if you need your passport urgently, we can expedite the process and have your passport ready in as little as four business days. Our expedited services ensure that you get your passport quickly, even in time-sensitive situations.
Can I travel outside the United States with just a passport card?
No, a passport card can only be used for travel to certain countries by land or sea. If you plan to travel by air or to a country not covered by the passport card program, you will need to have a regular passport book.
What is the fastest you can get your first passport?
If you are travelling soon, we can obtain your new passport in as little as four business days. Using the Passport Agency, expedited processing 7 to 9 weeks not including shipping time.
How can I get suitable Passport Photos?
Passport photos are a crucial component of your application and must meet the strict
U.S. Department of State requirements. You have two options:
- Provide Your Own: You can obtain passport photos at most CVS or Walgreens locations. However, ensure they adhere to the official requirements before including them in your application.
- Use Our Passport Photo Service: For added convenience, you can also take advantage of our Passport Photo Service. We can help you generate compliant passport photos or use our AI Tool at www.perfectpassportphotos.com directly from your mobile phone. This service ensures compliance with passport photo standards and streamlines the process.
At Passportsandvisas.com, we prioritise efficiency and compliance to make your passport application process as smooth as possible.
Can I travel with an expired passport?
No, an expired passport is invalid for travel. You will need to apply for a new passport to leave the United States. If you are travelling back to the United States on a direct flight, you can fly with an emergency passport issued at a US Embassy overseas.
How much does it cost to get a first time passport?
New First Time US Passports start at $130 for routine service. If you would like to expedite processing of 7-9 weeks, the fee is $190. On top of that if you would like a passport card, add $30. Also, when you apply at the Post Office, they charge a fee of $35 for the adjudication process. If you choose our private first time passport expediting services, our fees vary on speed.