Need to expedite a passport application quickly? Whether you need to obtain a new passport, renew one that is about to expire or replace one that has already expired or been lost, it is possible for citizens of the United States to get a passport as fast as in a few days if specific requirements are met.
What is a US Passport?
A passport is an officially recognized government document that certifies one's identity and citizenship, permitting a citizen to travel abroad and to re-enter the United States.
How long does it take to get a passport?
Regular passport applications processed through the Post Office takes on average 10-12 weeks. Expedited service through the Post Office takes 6-8 weeks and costs an additional $60 fee. Passports and Visas.com offers expedited services for those needing passport applications processed quickly. Same day service is available by scheduling an in-person appointment at one of 25 regional passport agencies across the country.
Passports and Visas.com offers expedited passport application services where no appointment is necessary and your passport application is thoroughly reviewed.
How Much Does a US Passport Cost?
Passport costs vary on the Passport services but generally an adult passport cost starts at $130.
Passport Renewal Costs are detailed here
What are Passport Application Requirements?
Generally speaking, you need the following to apply for a US Passport.
- Prior US passport or proof of US ciitzenship
- Passport Application (for New passport or Pasport renewal)
- Passport Photos
- Payment to the US Department of State
- If passport application is needed in a hurry, then proof if departure (travel itinerary)
Is a passport expediting service right for me?
If you are travelling soon, you have three options to expedite your new passport at varying levels of speed and cost.
- Apply for expedited passport services at the Post Office. The current timeframe for this is about nine weeks not including shipping times which is quoted as up to 2 weeks each way.
- Obtain an appointment at a US Passport Agency which is very limited at this time. If you have an appointment, a passport can be issued in a few days.
- Apply through a courier service such as Passports and Visas.com and we can provide guidance through the passport application process and can obtain your new passport as fast as 4 days.
Can I travel with an expired passport?
No, an expired passport is invalid for travel. You will need to apply for a new passport to leave the United States. If you are travelling back to the United States on a direct flight, you can fly with an emergency passport issued at a US Embassy overseas.
Can I travel outside the United States with just a passport card?
No, a passport card can only be used for travel to Mexico, Canada and the Caribbean by land or sea. If you plan to travel by air or to a country not covered by the passport card program, you will need to get a passport book.