Is a Passport Renewal Required?
For adults, it typically has a 10-year expiration date and can be renewed. The passport validity for children is limited to five years or until they turn 18, whichever comes first. A copy of your most current passport is required, along with your application. You will receive your old passport book and card back, although it usually arrives in a different package than your new passport.
Get Your Passport Today!
What distinguishes a passport renewal from a new passport?
The passport is renewed to extend its expiration date. On the other hand, a visa is reprinted if you require a new key.
Is acquiring a new passport quicker or renewing one?
The State Department Bureau of Consular Services processes passport renewal applications at the same time as new passport applications. Ordinarily, processing takes 4-6 weeks, excluding exceptional circumstances.
How do you decide whether to apply for a new passport or renew your current one? Is it possible to renew a passport even after it has expired? Here's how to be specific:
Renewal of a passport
You can renew your passport rather than requesting a new one if you fulfill all of the requirements below:
- Your most recent passport application was made while you were 16 years old or older.
- Your most recent US passport is still in your possession, and it is in good shape.
- Your passport can't be older than 15 years.
- You have legal evidence proving your name change if it has occurred since your last passport was issued.
The Passport Renewal Form DS-82 can be completed online or at a local post office by applicants. Include a current passport photo, a check for the required government payments, and your most recent passport.
• Updated Passport
• Passport renewal is available in person or by mail. You must apply in person for a new passport if your current one has been lost, stolen, or damaged.
• If you received your current passport before turning 16, you must apply for a new one.
• You'll need a new passport if your current one is older than 15 years.
• You must apply for a new passport if your name has changed and you lack the necessary documentation.
What makes a passport renewal different from a fresh passport application?
You must physically visit a passport acceptance center to submit form DS-11, Application for a New Passport while applying for a new passport. You must also provide identification and citizenship verification. You must apply in person, and therefore, in addition to the Payments mentioned above, you must also pay a $35.00 execution charge.
All you need to do is wait patiently for your passport to arrive in the mail after submitting your application. Regular government service can take 11 weeks; under typical travel conditions, expedited service takes at least 7 weeks.
Don't forget to pick up your passport on time!
To prevent being placed in the passport holding pattern, apply for a new passport or a passport renewal immediately!