What Happens When Passport Expires?

Get Your US Passport in 3 Days
Passports and Visas.com will help you expedited your US passport. It's easy, painless and fast.
Get Your Passport Today!

You can be for this exception if all of the following are true.

  • You are a U.S. citizen.
  • You are currently in the United States and you want to return directly.
  • If you fly directly to the United States, to a United States Territory, or only for short-term transit ("connecting flight"), you will be flying through a foreign country to return to the United States.
  • The original validity of your expired passport was for 10 years. Your passport expired if you were less than 15 years old at the time it was issued.
  • Your passport that has expired is valid and unaltered
  • You have your expired passport.

are not eligible for this exemption if:

  • You want to travel from the United States to an overseas destination. This includes round-trip travel from Argentina to the United States, without enough time to renew your passport.
  • You are currently traveling abroad and want to travel to another country for any duration of stay beyond an airport connection en route to the United States, or to a territory within the United States.
  • The validity of your expired passport was restricted.
  • An expired passport is a special issue passport, such as a diplomatic, official, service, or regular passport.
  • The passport you have just expired is now damaged.
  • The passport that you have already expired has been altered.
  • You do not have a passport that has expired.

It is important to note that routine passport processing can take up to 10-12 weeks in the United States. International travel plans may require you to pay an extra $60 to expedite your passport. This will reduce the processing time to between 4-6 weeks. While the $60 fee to expedite a passport is available only in the United States, it is not applicable when you apply for a U.S. Passport at the U.S. Embassy.

If you plan to travel round-trip to the United States and do not intend to renew your U.S. passport during your stay, or if you are traveling to another country, please visit our Passport Services page to learn how to renew your passport prior to travel. U.S. U.S. citizens cannot travel to Argentina with an expired passport.

About This Author

Philip Diack is Founder and Managing Director of Passports and Visas.com, a national passport and travel visa service with offices in Atlanta, Miami, Washington, DC, NYC, Denver and San Francisco.

Related Articles