Passport Renewal for Children: How to Renew a Child Passport!

Renewal of a child's passport:

A child's passport can be renewed online or by mail. You must renew your child's passport if it has expired before they can travel. Do not book a flight until you have a valid passport; the new passport will not have the same number as the old one.

Get Your US Passport in 3 Days
Passports and will help you expedited your US passport. It's easy, painless and fast.
Get Your Passport Today!

You cannot renew your child's passport if their name or other personal information has changed. Instead, you must apply for a new passport.

Getting a passport renewed before it expires

To travel to certain countries, you must have at least 6 months remaining on your passport. Check the entry requirements of the country your child will be visiting to determine how much time they will need on their passport before traveling.

Supporting documents

To renew your child’s passport you’ll need:

  • Documents supporting your claim
  • You will need the following items to renew your child's passport:
  • Your child's previous passport
  • Any valid passports from another country that your child may have any court orders pertaining to the child (for example, that describe parental responsibility or residency arrangements)
  • You'll also need photos of your child, either digital or printed.
  • Online Renewal
  • The price is £49. You can use a credit or debit card to make your payment.

You’ll need:

  • A digital photograph of your child (or a device that takes digital photos) the supplementary materials
  • Request that someone confirm your child's identity.
  • If your child is under the age of 12, you must have someone confirm their identity after you've submitted the application.
  • Inform the individual that they will receive an email from HM Passport Office with instructions. They will confirm your child's identity online, eliminating the need for them to sign a printed photo.

To send your application you can either:

Post your form, photos, and documents in the pre-printed envelope that comes with the form; or email your application. If you want to use the Passport Check and Send service, take your form, photos, and documents to the Post Office. The application is being signed. The form must be signed by someone with parental responsibility. If your child is between the ages of 12 and 15, they must also sign the form.

Application countersigning

  • If your child is under the age of 12, you must have their application and one of their photos countersigned.
  • If your child is 12 or older, you only need to do this if they cannot be identified from their current passport photo.

Select how you want your documents returned!

Your documents will be returned to you via regular mail, but you can pay an extra £5 to have them sent via secure delivery. If you want to use this service, select it in your application.

Obtaining your passport!

Your renewal of passport will be done and delivered to you via courier or regular mail. They'll either post it through your letterbox, hand it to you if you're at home, leave you a card, or mail you a letter explaining how to get it (it will not say the package is your passport)

About This Author

Philip Diack is Founder and Managing Director of Passports and, a national passport and travel visa service with offices in Atlanta, Miami, Washington, DC, NYC, Denver and San Francisco.

Related Articles