How to Extend and Renew Vietnam Visa?
What is a Visa Extension?
Visa extension is an activity that is applied for foreign citizens who want to extend their ongoing stay in Vietnam without leaving Vietnam. With this step, you will receive an extension stamp on your passport stating your new length of stay.
Note: The visa extension is for single entry only.
Click Here to Get Your Passport Fast
What is Visa Renewal?
Visa renewal is almost similar to the visa extension as it also enables foreign visitors to prolong their stay without leaving Vietnam.
However, when you renew your visa, you will receive a new visa sticker and length of stay stamp in your passport with a new duration permit. Therefore, the visa renewal fee is higher compared to the visa extension fee because you need to pay the stamp duty and visa sticker fee.
Visa Extension and Renewal Requirements
To extend or verify a Vietnam visa, you have to fulfill the following requirement:
- Your passport needs to be valid for a minimum of 180 days (six months) from the extension or renewal date.
- It must have a minimum of two empty pages.
Why Should You Select a Visa Extension?
- The only way to continue legal staying in Vietnam after your visa expires without leaving Vietnam is visa extension because the visa run is not accessible during COVID-19.
- Save your expenses as the extension fee is much lower compared to the renewal fee.
- Avoid being blacklisted by the Vietnam Immigration Service for overstaying.
- Have more time to conduct your business in Vietnam which could be disrupted if you leave Vietnam and then return on a new visa or are unable to return in COVID-19.
How can I apply for a Visa Extension?
You can request your visa extension by yourself or can apply by a local travel agency in Vietnam. The application steps are as follows:
- Arrange the extension or renewal application form NA5 with your passport.
- Submit the above documents to the below immigration office with the required fee:
- Hanoi Immigration Office: 44-46 Tran Phu, Ba Dinh District, Hanoi
- Da Nang: 78 Le Loi, Thach Thang, Hai Châu, Da Nang 550000
- Ho Chi Minh City: 196 Nguyen Thi Minh Khai, Ward 6, District 3, Ho Chi Minh City
- Office hours: From Monday to Friday (morning: 7:00 a.m. - 11:30 a.m.; afternoon: 1:30 p.m. - 5:00 p.m.) and Saturdays (mornings only)
- Wait for five business days for the consequences. Usually, it takes 5-7 business days for a one-month (30 days) visa and ten business days for a three months (90 days) visa.
Note: It is recommended to extend your visa by a travel agency as according to the new guidelines it is not possible to prolong your visa directly by yourself at the immigration office.
How to Extend a Vietnam Visa through a Travel Agency?
You only have to undergo the following three steps to successfully extend your visa.
Step 1: Send a copy of your passport and your current Vietnam visa page and it will let you know if your visa could be extended or not.
Step 2: Send your original passport to the travel agency address and pay the visa extension fee.
Step 3: Get your extended stay passport within 8 business days usually or three business days in urgent cases on your request.
Vietnam Visa Extension Cost:
The Vietnam visa extension fees vary according to the type and duration of the visa.