Different Types of US Visa

Every year, millions of people come to and go from the United States. It is a well-liked tourist and immigration center. However, if you aren't an American citizen, you'll probably require a visa to visit the country. You can enter the United States by getting a stamp on your travel document, more especially your passport, proving your eligibility. Even if you have a US visa, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and the Customs and Border Protection (CPB) Inspectors may decide not to let you into the country.

Get Your US Passport in 3 Days
Passports and Visas.com will help you expedited your US passport. It's easy, painless and fast.
Get Your Passport Today!

Types of US Visa

About 185 different US visas fall into two broad categories:

  • Visas for non-immigrants. issued for short-term travels to the United States, including those made for education, business, or travel.
  • Visas for immigrants. issued to those who, through resettlement or immigrant investor programs, will permanently move to the United States.

Let's discuss some main types of visas

  • Visas for students: The F and M visas are intended for professional and academic purposes. You will need to apply for either the F1 or the M1 visa, depending on your school and field of study. The following are the many types of US student visas:

F1 visa. A student visa.

F2 visa. dependents of F1 visa holders

M1 visa. visa for career purposes.

  • Visitor visas: The US visitor visas are issued to anyone who wants to go to the US for up to six months as a visitor and are split down into the following categories:

B1 visa for business trips.

B2 visas are available for tourists.

  • Temporary work visa: These visas are issued for short-term work in the US. The many types of work visas are as follows:

Visa H1B. for people who have worked in highly specialized fields.

Visa H1B 1. for citizens of Singapore and Chile.

Visa H-2A. Provided to temporary agricultural workers from selected countries where the US is interested.

H-2B visa. given to many transient seasonal laborers who work in industries other than agriculture.

H-3 visa. Obtain by people wishing to benefit from training and educational possibilities.

L1 visa. issued to managers or executives inside the company.

P visa issue for Sportspersons and their coaching staff.

Temporary Religious Workers who wish to engage in religious activity within the US must obtain the R1 visa category.

Citizens of Canada and Mexico who plan to work for the NAFTA organization are available for TN/TD visas.

visas E3. for Australian nationals. who will be employed in specialized fields?

I visa. For journalists and media representatives from other countries who are traveling to the US to work or take part in media-related educational activities.

O visas are required by those who possess what is referred to as extraordinary skill in the arts, sciences, business, education, or athletics and wish to temporarily work in that sector. There are three O visa categories:

O1 visa: for people with unique abilities.

O2 visa: for O1 visa holders' assistants.

O3 visas are available to O1 visa holders' dependents.

  • Official and diplomatic visas. The following are categories for official and diplomatic visas:

Diplomats and other members of foreign governments visiting the US on business are eligible for the A1 visa.

Only foreign military personnel who intend to serve or be stationed within the United States are eligible for the A2 NATO1-6 visa.

G-1 to G-5 visa is required if you previously worked for an international organization in the United States. The NATO visa will be issued to anyone who plans to work with NATO.

  • Sponsored Visas for Immediate Family and Relatives. The categories for immediate family and family-sponsored visas are as follows:

For the families of Lawful Permanent Residents, namely their spouses, minor children, or unmarried sons and daughters aged 21 and over, the F2A and F2B visas are available.

Children under 21 who are not married may apply for the IR-2 visa.

Parents of US citizens who are at least 21 years old may apply for an IR5 visa.

Children from foreign countries who will be adopted by US citizens are eligible for the IR3, IH3IR4, and IH4 visas.

Citizens of Iraq or Afghanistan who obtain Special Immigrant Visas and want to work for or on behalf of the US government are eligible for the SQ visa.

F1 visa for sons and daughters who are not married and their minor offspring

F3 visa For married sons and daughters, as well as their young children,

F4 visas are available to US citizens' siblings, sisters, spouses, and minor children.

  • Visas for crew and transit. The categories for this type of visa are as follows:

A USA transit visa is a C visa.

Crew members who will work on a ship or an international aircraft are eligible for the D visa.

  • Visas for Treaty Traders and Investors. For people who have treaties of commerce and navigation with the US, there are two types of E visas:

E1 visa: Treaty trader visa

E2 Visa: Treaty investor visa

  • Other Types of Immigration Visas. People who are thought to be "diversity immigrants," that is, those who come from nations with low rates of immigration to the US are eligible for diversity immigrant visas.

The SB visa also known as a returning resident visa, is for lawful permanent residents of the United States who have been abroad for more than a year due to factors beyond their control or whose re-entry authorization has expired. They can enter the US once more because of the SB visa.

About This Author

Philip Diack is Founder and Managing Director of Passports and Visas.com, a national passport and travel visa service with offices in Atlanta, Miami, Washington, DC, NYC, Denver and San Francisco.

Related Articles