What should you know before applying for an Indian visa?
India is one of the most sought-after worldwide travel destinations. Before booking your ticket and packing your bags, the first thing you need to know is what Indian visa documents and paperwork you require to enter India as a foreigner.
5 Things to know before applying for an Indian Visa
Following is the requirement that you must know before applying for an Indian visa:
1. Indian e-visa:
The Indian government announced the launch of an Indian e-visa that would enable foreign nationals to get their visas electronically. There were several reasons for adopting this new system, but these two reasons are the most crucial one:
1. First, to reduce airport congestion from visa-on-arrival desks. As you can imagine, the issuance of visas on arrival became unmanageable with the annual growth in visitor numbers, so individuals who were previously entitled to visas on arrival joined the e-visa system. It enables authorities to verify arrivals when applying for the online visa, making border processes much faster.
2. Second, to encourage more individuals to visit by nationalities who previously had to obtain visas personally from an Indian embassy to obtain visas online instead. It makes the procedure faster and simpler for travelers.
At first, only 28 countries were added to the list of nationalities entitled to the e-visa. It included all 15 countries that are eligible for visas-on-arrival, and the US, Brazil, Germany, Israel, Jordan, Mauritius, Norway, Palestine, Russia, Thailand, Ukraine, and UAE.
The permitted length of stay for foreigners with an eTV has been increased from 30-90 days, and the ports of entry recognizing an eTV have expanded to 28 airports and 5 seaports. In addition, three new categories of e-visas have been developed: business, tourism, medical.
The list of nationalities entitled for an e-visa has gradually expanded and now includes over 160 nations that certainly play a main role in the steady increase in foreigners.
2. Indian Visa Types:
The Government of India provides the following visas:
- Business Visa
- Employment Visa
- Conference Visa
- Diplomatic Visa
- Emergency Visa
- Entry Visa
- Journalist Visa
- Medical Visa
- Missionary Visa
- Research Visa
- Student Visa
- Tourist Visa
- Transit Visa
- Permit to re-enter within two months
3. Documents Required for an Indian Visa:
Following documents are required when applying for an Indian Visa:
- The passport is valid for at least 180 days with a minimum of two blank pages.
- Correct the visa fee with two recent 50*50 photos. Please check the photo specifications.
- JPEG format.
- Minimum 10 KB
- Maximum 300 KB
- Photo must show front view with open eyes
- The Head should be in the center and showcase a full face from the top of the hair to the bottom of the chin.
- Background must be white or of light color.
- No shadows on the face or the background.
- Without any border.
- Properly completed online application form (in printed form) with signatures on both sides.
4. Indian Visa Processing Time:
After receiving the visa application via the Indian Visa Application Center or directly from the Indian Embassy, it takes at least three business days to process and issue a visa, based on nationality.
5. How much does an Indian visa cost?
The cost of your eTV depends upon what type of document you are applying for. The fees for the online tourist visas are as follows:
- Duration: 30-days
- Visa fee: $26
- Duration: 1-year
- Visa fee: $41
- Duration: 5-year
- Visa fee: $86
On the other hand, embassy visa fees may vary depending on the country you are applying from but you can use the following fees as a guide:
- Duration: 30-days
- Visa fee: $10
- Duration: 1-year visa
- Visa fee: $140
- Duration: 5-year
- Visa fee: $262