How to get A New Passport Following an Ossuary Gender Transition

If you do not have a passport, you'll need to make an application in person. Apply at the post office or other acceptor.

The following documents are required:

A valid ID (preferably an ID card for drivers or any other ID issued by the government) that matches your present appearance. The ID doesn't have to be gender-specific on it. In the event that you've changed names, it's also possible to show your previous name, as you can provide legally valid evidence that the change in name is legal.

The proof of citizenship is like a birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or certification of citizenship When you've changed the name of your family member you'll

Get Your US Passport in 3 Days
Passports and will help you expedited your US passport. It's easy, painless and fast.
Get Your Passport Today!

The Transgender Passport Help How to get the Passport Renewal

What happens if you already own a US passport? Are you able to renew your passport through mail following a gender change? It's possible, however, only if you've changed the gender of your passport. If you possess a passport but are required to change your gender, you can't renew it by mail, even when you've met all the other conditions. You're able to renew by mail if the following conditions are met:

The passport you are currently carrying is valid and valid for a 10-year passport. If you received two-year passports at the time of your change, refer to the steps to replace two-year passports with limited validity. It is important to ensure that the passport being replaced contains the right gender. Your passport is not stolen, lost, or damaged. It was issued under your name at the time of issue or you have the legal documentation that supports the request to change your name.

What kind of medical Treatments is required to change the gender on your passport?

Are you thinking about what kind of medical care you'll require prior to changing the gender of your passport? Before the year 2010, it was impossible to obtain real-time passport changes without going through an operation to reassign your sex. It was an issue because most transgender people do not want to undergo the procedure. However, they must have documents for travel that reflected the gender of the person they are.

The good news is that surgery not anymore required. "Appropriate treatments" is now a matter between you and your physician. You can now design the best treatment plan for you. If your doctor tells you that you're "in an ongoing process" changing gender, you'll be issued an unrestricted validity, the two-year passport that includes your new gender. If your doctor is of the opinion that your transition is complete, the new passport is valid for the normal 10 years.

The Doctor's Letter

Are you looking to reduce the time it takes to process? Make sure you double-check the doctor's note! It must be in compliance with the below State Department requirements: The letter should be printed using the doctor's letterhead. It has to be issued by an accredited physician with who you are a patient. It must include the medical license issued by the doctor or certificate number, as well as the name of the organization or state that issued the license.

The letter should state that the doctor you are referring to has a doctor-patient relationship with you, has seen you, or has evaluated and reviewed your medical history. It also confirms that you " have received or are in the process of receiving suitable medical treatment to change to the new gender."

It must contain the following sentence: "I declare under penalty of perjury as per federal law in the United States that the foregoing is true and accurate." To make things easier to your physician, download an office template for your doctor's office here.

Note  If the note from your doctor states that you "are going through or receiving" treatment then you'll receive a temporary 2 years passport, which you can exchange with a permanent passport after treatment is over.

However, the path of treatment lies between you and your physician. It isn't necessary. Therefore, certain transgender rights groups, including the National Center for Transgender Equality claim they believe that "there is no reason why someone who is transgender to apply for a limited passport."

Replacing a Passport with Limited Validity Passport Following the Gender Transition

What happens if you obtain a 2-year passport? The good news is that when you and your doctor determine that your treatment is complete it's a relatively easy (and free) procedure to replace your passport that has limited validity with a 10-year passport.

  • Here's what you'll need
  • Form DS-5504
  • Your unexpired 2-year passport
  • A photo from the present and
  • A letter from your doctor attesting that you've completed your treatment.

How to get an Emergency Passport

If you've made the necessary steps to change gender and are contemplating an international trip You probably don't need me to explain how crucial it is to make sure your passport shows your true gender.

Here's the positive side of this. If you've got all the required documents It shouldn't take much more time than normal to obtain your passport. But it's important to think ahead! The normal processing process takes about 6-8 weeks. If you can expedite the process at the post office an additional fee of $60 and you want to cut it down to a mere two weeks.

About This Author

Philip Diack is Founder and Managing Director of Passports and, a national passport and travel visa service with offices in Atlanta, Miami, Washington, DC, NYC, Denver and San Francisco.

Related Articles