Bhutan Visa FAQ’s

 All tourists, except for citizens of Bangladesh, India and the Maldives, must obtain a visa before arriving in Bhutan.

How do I get an Bhutan visa?

All tourists must book their travel through a local licensed tour operator (or international partner). Visas are applied for online by your local tour operator and it is not required that you visit a Bhutanese Embassy or consulate. Your holiday must be paid in full, via a wire transfer, to the Tourism Council of Bhutan account before a tourist visa is issued. The money remains with the Tourism Council until your travel in-country is complete before the local tour operator is paid.

Who is eligible for an Bhutan visa?

All foreign nationals require a visa to Bhutan except Bangladesh, India and the Maldives.

How long does it take to get an Bhutan visa?

Visa clearance takes no longer than 72 hours, once full payment has been received. At your point of entry, the visa will be stamped in your passport on payment of USD40, also prepaid through your tour agent. Visa extensions can be obtained through your local tour operator at a cost of Nu.600 (1 Ngultrum = 1 Indian Rupee) and the tourist will also be subject to the daily tariff for the additional days.

Once in Bhutan, how long can I visit?

Visa Permits are valid for a maximum of 7 days and if you want to spend more time than 7 days, you need to visit the Immigration office in Thimphu again and apply for extension of stay.

What are the documents required to apply for an Bhutan visa?

Passport copy/Voter ID card + 2 Photographs (Please carry originals also for verification). For children below 18 years without valid passport, Birth Certificates and valid school ID are required to get Entry Permit. (Both are required in case of school going kid). Produce a Hotel Confirmation voucher at the counter. This is to make sure that all tourists visiting Bhutan has a proper address. So book a hotel prior to your arrival and have your hotel send you a confirmation voucher before entering Bhutan. The Entry permit granted by immigration officials in Phuntsholing is valid for travelling in Thimphu and Paro only. Once you arrive in Thimphu, you need to apply for Special area permit to visit any places other than Thimphu and Paro such as Punakha. Once you arrive in Thimphu, take a photocopy of your route permit to the Immigration office in Thimphu and process for the Special area permit. You need to fill up another form and attached your route permit along with it. You can collect your extension permits from the same office after 1 hour. If you are driving your own vehicle, you need to avail the Extension Permit from RSTA (Road safety and transport authority) located next to Lutenzampa School/bus parking.

Do you need a Passport inside 8 weeks?
Passports and will help you with your passport needs It's easy, painless and fast.
Do you need a Passport or Travel Visa for your upcoming trip?

Answer two questions and we'll show you if you need a travel visa or passport for your upcoming trip